Author Topic: ICU Membership - get it now, while it's still cool!  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Douchier

ICU Membership - get it now, while it's still cool!
« on: May 29, 2012, 19:16:08 »
I mean, who doesn't want membership and representation on your national governing body?
It's what all the cool kids are doing.  Now called Canoeing Ireland though, so really this should be about CI membership.

You need* this to enter competition such as the DCPL, marathon races, Summer polo competitions, freestyle competitions, Slalom competions and possibly varsities ( depending on the hosts)

The provide advice and assistance to clubs and individuals in the sport.

They help out paddlesport Olympians.

You get to have a say in the direction that the sport takes in this counrty by voting in the various AGMs of the different disciplines.

You get a cool card thingey.

You get 10% off in most Kayak shops, including GODs and I-Canoe.

I won't have to keep making up bullshit excuses when entering teams into competitions...

Don't take my word for it though, listen to what these guys have to say:

Canoeing Ireland membership made me the man that I am today

In a nation as rich and as vigorous as Ireland, representation and leadership are vitally important in not just protecting the securities and liberties that we hold dear, but aslo in striving for a greater goal over the horizon where success and progress lie, waiting to profit mankind.

I saw Benny!

A years worth of all these great things is only E20 and you can contact Derv with your name, address, phone number and D.O.B.

Many thanks, Niall

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
Re: ICU Membership - get it now, while it's still cool!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 19:42:35 »
You need* this to enter competition such as the DCPL, marathon races, Summer polo competitions, freestyle competitions, Slalom competions and possibly varsities ( depending on the hosts)

I won't have to keep making up bullshit excuses when entering teams into competitions...

Yeah, actually having ICU/CI membership is a huge benefit for all this stuff. So far for college based/run events we've managed to wheedle our way into things, but I know I've used the line "well, it's mostly our freshers who don't have it yet" a lot, so that excuse doesn't cover you guys for much longer!
For anyone who'd like to get involved in paddling over the summer, or extra curricular paddling next year, a lot of those competitions will be a lot more strict (ie: no wheedling).

I fully recommend it, the 10% discount at Great Outdoors and I-Canoe makes a significant difference to gear-buying expeditions :)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 20:23:06 »
Indeed, I'm peasantly shocked that the galway folks accepted our entry for the polo this weekend.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 21:08:12 »
See if you can get me in onto both the TDU and genreal membership as one easy payment and I will join through you guys if not will join the TDU during July when my card runs out.

Offline DervM

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 21:36:33 »