Author Topic: Personal Goals - do you have some?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Douchier

Personal Goals - do you have some?
« on: November 06, 2012, 18:25:35 »
I was just wondering this - to what extent do people set goals for their paddling and how do they realise them?

I think that they're very important in making things happen, especially level3 standard and development becomes something that you have to take a much active role in. Unlike getting up to L3, your development will come from say... 10% from organised training (Which is really useful; expert advice and analysis are invaluable)  and 90% from getting out there paddling/having fun/pushing yourself.
To ensure that this happens, it really helps to set goals.

Something that's used a lot in the Canoeing Ireland courses is personal improvement goals (PIGS).
They're simple enough:
-Decide on a goal
-Decide where you are in relation to that goal
-Decide on a course of action needed to achieve that goal.

Another way of putting this is to use S.M.A.R.T. goals:

Specific - perhaps "I'm going to learn to run grade2/3/4 without capsizing" as opposed to "I'm going to learn to paddle good"
Measurable - You can easily measure something like number of capsizes or success rate trying a certain move, but generally paddling well is subjective and difficult to measure
Attainable - Many people (including myself) set goals that are too far away; focus on the nearer goals and then move onto the next one.
Relevant - developing your whitewater skills? Having good forward stroke, edging, ferrying, breaking in/out are very relevant whilst things like the skulling for support, high-bracing and the LBT aren't.
Timely - nobody ever finished anything without a deadline.

What do you guys reckon?
Are goals useful?
Do you have them?
Are there any that you'd like to share? *

I've accidentally concentrated on whitewater, but it goes for anything that you to want to develop.

(interestingly, studies show that publicising goals doesn't help you achieve them - but it might help to throw some out there to help get ideas).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 18:34:42 by Douchier »