Author Topic: dry cag repair  (Read 8608 times)

chuckie

dry cag repair
« on: February 02, 2004, 10:00:43 »
any thoughts on the best way to fix a torn latex wrist seal on a nookie dry cag ? is it a case of replacing the seal or simply gluein it back together?

Offline Greg

For Latex Replace
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 10:21:10 »
To my knowledge right now the only way to get back a water tight seal is to replace the broken seal.

Talk to

Outdoor Adventure Store or
http://www.rubberman.co.uk/home.htm

It is possible to buy the seals and attach them yourself, but I am not sure how successful people have been at this.

Greg

Offline carlito

dry cag repair
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 10:24:11 »
It'll need to be replaced.  I mean, you could try gluing it and see how you get on but I doubt it would do much good.  If you want to replace it, the best bet is probably to bring it back to the shop.  If they are nice, they might do it for free, though there may well be a (fairly small) charge attached.

Shops can take weeks to get all this done so be prepared to be without a cag for a while.  Alternatively, you could send the cag to Nookie directly yourself - I dunno if this is any faster or cheaper (though the post alone will probably make it more expensive)

All this hilights a good point:  I dunno how you ripped the wrist seal but laytex (as we all know from another use it has) is notoriuosly easy to tear.  If you are getting a cag with dry, e.g. laytex seals, you should try yo get one that has a second seal over the laytex.  The outer seal (usually made from neoprene) is much tougher and protects the laytext from thorns, branches, flailing finger nails, etc.  Cags like this are normally a bit more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Cheers

Carlito

chuckie

dry cag repair
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 10:36:07 »
cheers fot the advice guys  :D will give it a go with rubber cement and see if it holds, the actual seal around the wrist is ok, its torn where the rubber isnt under a lot of tension so it just might hold.....

Offline kmck

• "99"
dry cag repair
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 10:57:10 »
I had this done cost me 50 euro to do in outdoor adventure
They replaced both seals at the same time still working 2 years on.

Offline Cheesy

dry cag repair
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 10:58:01 »
you could also take to the O'Dear factory shop in bray they'll do in a perty quick and there not as pricey as ODA or GOD

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
dry cag repair
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 11:42:27 »
OAS replaced my neck seal in 2 weeks for €45. They also replaced the wrist seals about 8 months ago. The reason I had to get the neck replaced was because the lad in GODS who did it 2 years ago did such a crappy job that I had to botch it together myself until I had time to replace it. OAS send you gear to Wales so it does take about 2 weeks, but it is a fantastic job. The latex just slides on. I'd reccomend them. Unfortunately no discount available though.

Offline GrampaC

Rubberman
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 16:29:35 »
I have gotten a neck seal replaced in OAS before and it took them two months to get the cag back for me, it cost 45 euro.

The Rubberman place in wales fixed Suzzie's neck seal and they had it back to her in a week, or 2 days from when they recieved it. It cost £25 sterling plus postage about 50 euro after you convert it but the repair was top notch. Only trouble is you have to go to the bank to get a sterling draft made out to Rubberman.

Offline Sean Mc

• http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
dry cag repair
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 17:00:37 »
the Munster Dive Centre in Cork will fix them aswell. They'll usually have them done in 3-4 days.
www.munsterdivecentre.com for the contact details.

Offline El Diablo

dry cag repair
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 13:30:15 »
Fuck all that.  Get some black witch glue, a football or sacucepan and the seals and do it yourself.