Author Topic: L2 Instructorship  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
L2 Instructorship
« on: March 05, 2013, 18:15:37 »
I missed the boat for L2 Instructorships when the club ran it's training course last year, I was wondering if there'd be any interest / way we could run it again or if anyone knows of any other courses going ahead?

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: L2 Instructorship
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 00:31:05 »
There is one in May, but contact Benny as there are number of people who should do this for instructing at the pool next year, even if you never take the assessment it will be useful for pool sessions to allow as much one on one coaching as possible

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:43:16 »
Woo! I've already done this, but I'd thoroughly recommend it to everyone  ;D

I think it's very important that the club gets another one running soon (either before/during the summer or in September) so that anyone with a L3 (or who gets signed off as being very close to that standard) can take part too.

Ideally this would give a whole new group of people the training they need to develop their own skills in a new area (instructing) while investing back in to the club (at pool sessions and river trips).

It's a great way to challenge yourself on club trips and keeps them really interesting since you're developing a whole new skill set, which benefits not just yourself, but the whole club.

Eight people took part in the course that was run in September and while everyone was enthusiastic at the start and some participants have invested time and effort back in to the club since, the pay off was not as large as there was potential for.

Maybe next time round it would be worth posing a target time to do assessments to give more motivation.
Now that L2 instructors can sign off on hours and we have more structured pool sessions a rota could be drawn up to keep everyone logging. There are 6 hours (3 pool, 3 river) to be logged by an individual with the club each week, so it's an ideal environment for trainee instructors.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 07:29:36 »
brilliant, I'd like to see the club run a course soon but obviously it depends on interest and when we can get people available for it!

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:55:45 »
If the club did run something I'd be interested with the aim to helping out at the pool next year :)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 13:55:02 »
I think that the realistic time for the club to run another one of these would be at least after the L3 assesments are done for the year - that should allow a whole lot of new people to do the course.