Author Topic: Level 2 Instructor Training  (Read 5752 times)

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
Level 2 Instructor Training
« on: April 24, 2013, 00:00:25 »
Hey guys!

I'm looking at trying to organise a Level 2 Instructor training course for all of the level 3 kayakers in the club. You must have your level 3 kayaking skills to become a level 2 instructor.

By getting it done near the start of the summer it gives people a chance to log hours over the summer at camps and such!

I'm just looking to find out who's interested and when would they like it run. If you could please do the poll with this it'd be great!

Here's a link with all of the information on Level 2 Instructor assessments:

http://www.canoe.ie/AwardsQualifications/InstructorQualifications/tabid/887/language/en-GB/Default.aspx#_Toc286834513

Interested:

1. Steven Mulrooney
2. Ross Kerrigan
3. Diarmuid Ryan
4. Garbhan Gorman
5. Conor Mohan
6. Kate Barry
7. Briain Gannon
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 18:34:10 by Steven Mul »

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
Re: Level 2 Instructor Training
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 00:07:17 »
Yep, I'm interested. It's a very good course to do even if you don't plan on becoming an instructor.

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 00:33:57 »
yup

Offline Garbhan

• omg guys, the forum time is BST instead of GMT :O
  • mmmmm.... timeee....
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 00:36:45 »
Intersted

Offline Briain

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:58 »
Yeah! Just check it out Steve I'm pretty sure you need a rec 3 first aid very to get your level 2 instructor!

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:20:31 »
You will need a REC2 or equvilent to get the instructorship, however you don't need it for the training

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:09:59 »
Yeah the plan is to organise the training first and then see about REC 2 and maybe RSR training and child protection course too :) so Briain are you interested?

Offline Conor Mohan

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:29 »
Consider my interest expressed.

Offline Kater

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 13:15:36 »
interest expressed, depending on work schedule.

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 14:58:18 »
Great stuff guys fair play on this, instrcting is really enjoyable but I think people should be aware of what their getting into and how much of a committment and responsibility it is before juming in.

It takes a huge amount of time and effort, time which is usually taken away from your own personal paddling.
Its a big responsibility, when your on the water your working.
Its also about service, this qualification is entirely about teaching beginners on flat water, usually introductory courses. If you dont enjoy that its not a qualification for you.
It is highly likely you will spend less time developing your own paddling skills (progressing to level 4 for example)

Of course if you like the sound of that fantatstic, its a super oppertunity to get into work which is really rewarding.
From my own experience I couldnt recommend getting into instructorship highly enough but people should be aware of what it entails before you jump in.

If any one wants to chat in detail give me a shout. :)
peace out

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 16:09:56 »
Great stuff guys fair play on this, instrcting is really enjoyable but I think people should be aware of what their getting into and how much of a committment and responsibility it is before juming in.

It takes a huge amount of time and effort, time which is usually taken away from your own personal paddling.
Its a big responsibility, when your on the water your working.
Its also about service, this qualification is entirely about teaching beginners on flat water, usually introductory courses. If you dont enjoy that its not a qualification for you.
It is highly likely you will spend less time developing your own paddling skills (progressing to level 4 for example)

Of course if you like the sound of that fantatstic, its a super oppertunity to get into work which is really rewarding.
From my own experience I couldnt recommend getting into instructorship highly enough but people should be aware of what it entails before you jump in.

If any one wants to chat in detail give me a shout. :)
peace out

Thanks for the input Dave! Great to get some advice from someone who's done it already.

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:32 »
Hey guys, I'm reviving this thread to see if there's anyone else interested or anyone who is no longer interested? I'm going to be looking into organising this for the first week in september (week before college) or for the week before that. Need to know who's interested soon, ideally we need 12 people and that way the cost will (tbc) be €100. If you've already said yes on this just comment again to confirm!

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:35:36 »
Yes, if I can do the course pre my level three assessment...I've had a few different views on it...

And do we need a rec2 course before it?   ???

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Majestic
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 13:02:58 »
Yup!

Yes, if I can do the course pre my level three assessment...I've had a few different views on it...

You can! And I doubt you need a REC or an RSR to do the training, but you probably do to actually get the qualification...

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 13:28:30 »

You can! And I doubt you need a REC or an RSR to do the training, but you probably do to actually get the qualification...

Grand! Count me in then :)