Author Topic: For Instructors and Trainee Instructors  (Read 11604 times)

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
For Instructors and Trainee Instructors
« on: April 29, 2013, 17:42:06 »
Hi All,

There is new legislation coming in in September which will mean that anyone acting in a coaching capacity for the Club will need to be Garda Vetted before they can Coach with the club.

With this in mind I would ask anyone who is either an Instructor or a Trainee Instructor and is interested in instructing/logging hours next year to get in contact with me for a Garda Vetting form. This affects anyone who will wants to log hours next year so it's in your best interest to get them in early.

I'll try to get in contact with most of you individually anyway :)
many thanks, peeps !

EDIT

Here are the links to the Forms - please return the as soon as possible !

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2XcJ_-5TFINEVLTWxpY0d2TjQ/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bz2XcJ_-5TFIRkc2TU1fNVpNWE0/edit?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 14:26:16 by Niall Finch »

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
Re: For Instructors and Trainee Instructors
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 17:45:46 »
*****ALSO****

if you're Garda Vetted in anything else it still makes no difference - you'll have to be Vetted by the UCD AUC

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 18:28:32 »
Hurrah!

It's a bit of paperwork and stuff, but a very good idea :)
Keeping UCD and UCDCC that bit more professional and hopefully safe too.  :police:

Offline Peter O'Sullivan

• Senior Treasurer 16/17.
  • Coffee please.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 19:32:36 »
I thought Garda vetting was one of those daft schemes that never worked because the Gardai have no interest in vetting people and even less interest in more paperwork. From an outdoor education centre manager I've hear it doesn't work because people can be vetted under slight variations of their name and not show up on the system as having done anything wrong.

This is the start of a multi-page rant against an ever prevalent belief that more paperwork makes people safer, but I'll cut it down to one question.

What are people being vetted for and what show up?

By the way I have done my child protection course with Limerick sports partnership, good course.

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 19:40:10 »
It's due to the new child protection laws that are coming in soon (or have they just been brought in?). Anyway, under it, all people working for or with organisations that have under 18 year olds and/or vulnerable adults must be Garda vetted through that organisation before the commencement of work.  In other words, where as before you just needed to have sent your forms in before working with kids, now you must be cleared as well, something which takes weeks to happen.  It also means that everyone has to be vetted under the AUC as well as their other organisations

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 22:10:17 »
Good man Peter, nothing like getting the ball rolling on a good rant/rabble.

Offline Kater

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 22:43:31 »
Does it cost money? And I heard it can take months if you've lived abroad?

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 22:45:26 »

It costs moeny in the form of Taxes Kate - not sure what the story is if you've lived abroad

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 22:48:47 »

It takes months even if you've lived here all your life :)

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 23:04:57 »
Well you've to buy passport photos. and they're like a fiver...

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 23:06:55 »
No, you don't need passport photos

Offline Nuala

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 23:45:34 »
You don't need passport photos, just need to fill in your name and all the addresses you have lived in. It's simple to do (but they are royal sticklers for you getting every detail correct, and you've to put your middle name everywhere).

And I have a feeling that you cannot be Garda vetted if you have lived outside of Ireland unless you also supply equivalent police clearance from that country.

Offline CormacR

• Sexually Frustrated Officer
  • I can't change that sexually frustrated thing
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 00:55:30 »
The form looks like it's been drawn in crayon

Offline Jean Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 11:45:30 »
I thought Garda vetting was one of those daft schemes that never worked because the Gardai have no interest in vetting people and even less interest in more paperwork. From an outdoor education centre manager I've hear it doesn't work because people can be vetted under slight variations of their name and not show up on the system as having done anything wrong.

This is the start of a multi-page rant against an ever prevalent belief that more paperwork makes people safer, but I'll cut it down to one question.

What are people being vetted for and what show up?

By the way I have done my child protection course with Limerick sports partnership, good course.

That may be..... but its necessary for EVERYTHING now and is a pain.. earlier u get the forms in the earlier they come back....

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 14:19:38 »
To be honest the system is a big load of horse manure, I've been gardai vetted three times including one involving background interviews so why am I being asked every single time I go to a new organisation that I need another check which can due to the back log take 6 months? In England you get a police check then have a card that is valid for a certain length of time then it has to be renewed. Ireland get checked once for an organisation and that's it you're done for life