Author Topic: Pool sessions over the summer  (Read 8497 times)

Offline canoekev

Pool sessions over the summer
« on: May 14, 2014, 16:44:31 »
Hey guys I'm curious, is there a reason why the the pool sessions stop over the summer? Apart from the school year ending and people not being around..

I'm in dublin for most of the summer and I'd love the option for more training, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to get on a river. (also rivers are cold for learning to play boooo).

Is anyone against them continuing, because if there's no real reason and there isn't too much bureaucracy I'd love to get talking to the pool guys or whoever to keep them going.

Offline Jocano

Re: Pool sessions over the summer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 16:50:23 »
I would SO be up for this as well. I'm around most of summer..

Offline Alex murray

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 16:58:11 »
Same here. I'm dublin based an need more practice

Offline Maryanne

• Captain 12/13
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 16:59:29 »
The arrangement we have at present is based on the set up most (if not all) varsity clubs in UCD have which is that they are subsidised to train during term time.

I imagine the pool makes a lot of money in the summer running summer camps (since all the school kids are on holidays) so your best bet would be to aim for sometime during the week when business is slow.

There's an agreement that the pool let the club train for a certain number of hours in the year for free and if you excede that amount you've to pay to rent the pool. There's no black and white figure on this, but the figure to rent the pool is very hefty, definitely more than you could cover with people paying in.

Maybe if you asked nicely they'd be able to give you a lane or two late at night sometimes? Although, be litte careful about how you ask. If you presented it as a "the club absolutely needs this training" and then hardly anyone shows up all summer that would undermine future requests under that heading.

Offline Jocano

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 17:11:01 »
So it would help to know if we'd have spare free hours for summer and how many people would be up for this. The pool is never super busy when we have pool sessions and for me the same time as usual would be fine..

Offline canoekev

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 17:31:01 »
That's good to know. Do students still only have to pay 4 euro to use the pool over the summer does anyone know? Also do we have many members in the club?

I assume that water polo club still train over the summer, if they do then the pool is already partially partitioned whenever they train. not sure if this would help us or not.. I'd say our best bet would be something similar to during the year, 9 to 10.30 whatever day they agree to.

Maryanne do you mean that the free time we get during the year is just the amount that the subsidy pays for?
Also does this money come through the club or straight to the pool.. Is there any left if it comes to having to pay?

I'm sure the club wouldn't mind us using the boats and the paddles Ross?

I'll make a new thread to see if there's enough interest first. Most likely would be once a week at night.

^^Yeah agreed Johannes
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 17:46:56 by canoekev »

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 18:08:04 »
I'd say it's not overly possible to run them, especially if the numbers are too low. If you want to go paddling midweek, Salmon leap do races every Wednesday night, which would be well worth doing, there are plenty of alternatives.

If the numbers signed up are high enough, I'll send the pool an email after my exams and see what is possible...

Offline Kevin C

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 18:26:57 »
I looked into doing this before in UL and they told me that the pool would have to be paid for as it is subsidized during term time. You more then likely will have to buy 2-3 lanes which would work out at around 100 an hour. This would not be feasible unless you were able to get external members but that's another issue. Best bet is to join wildwater or another other club that has pool sessions over the sunmer. I'll be up for going to pool sessions during the summer anyway!

Offline Jocano

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 18:36:25 »
Well a lot of this is speculation, so for the options we might have with the UCD pool we should go ahead and ask them..

Offline DervM

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 22:02:34 »
Kev if you've a car then it's totally worth heading to a river, or the Canal - a cleanish bit. You learn way more not in a pool.

Plus you can literally walk to the Dodder from the boathouse! Then use the showers in the gym for free  :). Oh and there's even a net set in the boathouse to set up goals on the Dodder for polo training.

Offline Jocano

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 22:06:57 »
Where's a good entry to the dodder? Never been on it.. I'd be up for going there and playboat a bit in the flat after work some evening next week..

Offline DervM

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 22:12:43 »
It's just the carpark beside the pub there, Clonskeagh House, I think? If you turn into the carpark, walk over to the far side it goes onto a track beside the river with a wall you can step into a boat from.

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 22:18:51 »
Kev just to answer some of your questions there:

That's good to know. Do students still only have to pay 4 euro to use the pool over the summer does anyone know? Also do we have many members in the club?

Yup we still pay €4 over the summer (this is subsidised by the student contribution you pay at the start of the semester)
By members I presume you mean members of the pool, in which case I have no idea!  :o

I assume that water polo club still train over the summer, if they do then the pool is already partially partitioned whenever they train. not sure if this would help us or not.. I'd say our best bet would be something similar to during the year, 9 to 10.30 whatever day they agree to.

Unfortunately not, the water polo team don't train over the summer...that's why we had the full half pool for our last week.  :D

Maryanne do you mean that the free time we get during the year is just the amount that the subsidy pays for?
Also does this money come through the club or straight to the pool.. Is there any left if it comes to having to pay?
The pool allocations are sorted directly by the sports office to the pool, we have very little say in it, and aren't actually aware of what the exact deal they have is other than the fine details at the end (eg. Getting permission for polo etc.)

I'm sure the club wouldn't mind us using the boats and the paddles Ross?
Nope that wouldn't have been an issue at all!

Offline Tiny Tim

• Committee 10/11
  • Ickle Dave
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:36:24 »
 Pool?  Summer? Testicles?  :o

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25:35 »
Avoid pools at all costs over the summer. As noted by Dave they will sterilise your manhood and cause you to forget how to kayak.

Canals and Rivers arn't that cold over summer. Go play Polo, Marathon, Sprint, Slalom, whatever at Wildwater Kayak Club, Kilcock Canoe Polo Club or Salmon Leap Canoe Club (or whatever club is closest to you).

Wildwater Kayak Club do a student membership of €50. You can buy it or not, they don't care that much. I'm planning on buying it this summer :). You can do pretty much anything there (Marathon, WWR, Slalom, Sprint, Polo, the works). I paddled there all last summer, it's great craic.
Kilcock Canoe Polo Club only have the adult membership rate (€100 I think it was). If you paddle with them more than once, you have to pay it, no messing. Probably the best spot to go to to learn Canoe Polo, they're ridiculously good. I paddled there for the whole summer at the end of first year.
Salmon Leap Canoe Club I don't know that much about. They appear to have marathon races every Wednesday and I assume they do training too.

If possible over the summer you should try get to as many of the polo competitions as possible, they'll have you away for every second or third weekend camping somewhere down the country. It's ridiculously good fun.
I'm also planning on getting going to Clifden to do some freestyle, it's an amazing feature in Galway that's perfectly predictable, go there if at all possible.

Lastly, if you want to do something, just ask the committee for gear / borrow it off another club / national committee if UCDCC don't have it. People are generally pretty sound about lending gear. Get out there, do your thing, make your paddling happen yourself, no-one is going to make it happen for you over the summer but try stay outdoors, it's worth it.