Author Topic: Who wants summer pool sessions  (Read 3756 times)

Offline canoekev

Who wants summer pool sessions
« on: May 14, 2014, 17:39:36 »
Trying to see how many people would be able to make these.

Probably once a week to start with anyway, we would need a certain amount of people to go (reliably) each week for the pool to consider get on board with it.
It would probably help to have a committee member or two as well if anyone lives close. Mulrooneys? Aoife? Naddy?

If anyone thinks they could make it to most if not all then say that too. :)

So far:

Kevin (me)
Johannes
Alex
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 17:44:59 by canoekev »

Offline Jocano

Re: Who wants summer pool sessions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 17:44:23 »
I'd attend most. Just gone a week in June and second half of August..

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 17:45:04 »
I probably wouldn't be able to make any of them, Zog would most likely be then same!

Offline Kevin C

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 18:28:29 »
I will be around but your better off trying to join another club that has pool sessions for the summer

Offline canoekev

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 18:35:55 »
is that a yes kev? ;) (you know you want to)

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 19:03:23 »
I couldn't guarantee that I'd be there between work, trips away and other stuff

I found last year that very few people were in Dublin over the summer last year, I think there were only 4 or 5 unlinked based people

As Kev said Wild water is an excellent club to join for the summer, really cheap( if they ask you to pay at all) there's stuff on most days and it's relatively easy to get to
Diarmuid and Deividas paddled with them all last summer :)

Offline KatieMcLoughlin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 21:02:59 »
If they were on I would go as I am embarking on my first ever summer in Dublin.

I can have an informal talk with the pool manager(who is super duper sound) and get the low down if ya want?

I reckon we could use them in preparation for the summer polo comps anyways where we actually represent UCD and such.
If an arrangement could be worked out like every second week maybe people would be more likely to attend??

A different option for Dubs might be joining that wild water club(or whatever its called...) , I think Diarmuid had been working on getting a reduced membership rate if we could get enough people to join(this may all speculation and an odd dream that I once had so don't quote me!!!!)

Offline Jocano

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 21:19:10 »
Do they do pool sessions too? If so, where?

Offline Aoife S

• Safety 15/16
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 21:27:15 »
Do they do pool sessions too? If so, where?
They do during the winter anyway, in Cabra.  Not sure about the summer, thy tend to mace all that training to the Liffey as it's far cheaper and the weather is perfect!

A different option for Dubs might be joining that wild water club(or whatever its called...) , I think Diarmuid had been working on getting a reduced membership rate if we could get enough people to join(this may all speculation and an odd dream that I once had so don't quote me!!!!)
reduced membership? More like his 'lets not pay until they threaten to kick us out' membership :P

Realistically pool sessions aren't looking feasible.  There will be very few people in Dublin over the summer, even fewer who will be up for committing once a week to a pool session. We need to have a decent turn out each week to make the sessions worthwhile in the eyes of the pool

The weather should be nice (touch wood) so if people feel they need a flat water session for rolling, skills or freestyle that can be arranged outdoors, likewise with polo (realistically we won't be allowed to have a ball in the pool anyway).

We also have an issue with the fact that  we need committee members present at all pool sessions.  There is only two of us who are Dublin based.  Neither of is are able to make that commitment as we will be working for the summer and can't guarantee that we'll be free each week. Likewise with us going away. 
We also don't want to stretch the relationship we have with the pool management.  While they may not charge us for sessions (which as far as I know cost ~€100 a session) it may affect the hours we get next year.  Also if  they go through the trouble of setting up for us and only few people turn up it looks very bad. 

As I've said, for anyone who's looking for frequent training over the summer Wild water is the place to go! We'll also have Clifden trips, polo competitions, and for anyone who wants to the salmon leap race series.

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 21:46:53 »
Yeah, I'd recommend anyone lucky enough to live within reasonable range of a club like Wild Water Kayak club to go to them, they have something on most nights I believe, between polo, slalom, long distance, etc.

Offline DervM

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 22:10:34 »
WWKC is brilliant. They already do a reduced student rate of €50 and might reduce further if asked nicely.

They do like every discipline except the sea ones. And most of those have fun training nights. Beginners slalom and polo are on the same night so you can spend like 4 hours there twice a week just for those :)