Author Topic: UCDCC BoaterX  (Read 20512 times)

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
UCDCC BoaterX
« on: February 24, 2016, 16:59:01 »
CANCELLED

Hey guys, it is with the heaviest of hearts that I've decided to cancel this event based on water-levels! There just isn't enough water to run the event for it to remain fun and safe for everyone.
We will however have fun on the river, so meet at the Boat House at 10 o'clock to grab wet gear, you won't need a spray deck. We will be learning new rescue skill on the river bank followed by some awesome cliff jumping!

thank you everyone for their help in the run up, we'll have an awesome time in anyways so bring the banter and smiles!

Hello all,

Its time for the big one, the "El Classico" of the Kayaking world, the biggest, bestest, funnest, time of your lives; The UCDCC Annual BoaterX (that's Boater-Cross btw) in association with the UCDCC Ball, this year celebrating the Clubs 40th year!

So planning on meeting in Lynam's Car Park for 9.30 at the latest, with registration taking place from 9.30-9.45. At 9.45 sharp a safety briefing will take place, all participants are expected to be in paddling gear and ready to go. We will then walk down to the river and cross over to the River Left Bank. We will likely cross as a group, but Experienced team members will be responsible for those with less experience.

11.00: At 11 o'clock the first team will race the run-in and Jackson Falls. This later time is too allow for any and all faffage which is rife amongst the club, and for a small trip down the run-in for people that aren't familiar with it. Don't think you can show up at 10.45 and expect to compete! Teams, where possible, will be made up of an Oldie, a college type and someone in their first/second year of paddling (to allow more teams due to not many Freshers being aboot). This will be a timed run, bonuses can be won in which time will be knocked off. These will be posted at a later date.
Organisers will have final say of which category people fall into, so no bitching!

12.30: BoaterX Heats will begin, there will be Men's and Women's categories and depending on numbers a Freshers competition also!

Optional and time dependent: Depending on how the day is running we will have solo timed trials for individuals and bragging rights.
Also; an in 'til you swim at Jackson's Hole. In saying this I'm planning on having us off the water by 3.30- 4.00 at the latest to allow for getting ready and prizes etc.

Prize giving will take place directly after the competition in the car park.

If anyone has any questions please either post it below or PM me on Facebook. Post below team members with a team name too. Also, if anyone is interested in going but not competing could you let me know, helping hands will be greatly appreciated!

Its a great day's fun and highly recommend it for everyone! Registration will cost 5 Euro to cover the cost of some of the best prizes to ever grace Lynham's Car Park and any proceeds will go towards the Club's Fundraising Initiatives. I can't stress enough how important it will be to get out on river trips over the next few weekends, it will stand dividends to you! 

Disclaimer; Unfortunately I don't have the ability to control the weather. The competition will only be able to run provided levels are at an adequate level for everyone to run, if they're not playing ball extremely fun alternatives will take place, these will also require wet gear  :D

Boathouse will be open from 8am till approx 8:45am on the day :D

Teams:
Team Vengence (against one another)
Niamh Delaney
Steven Mulrooney
Peter O'Sullivan

Team Culturally Diverse (Sure Cork is it's own country right?)
Eleanor Le Lu
Cillian "Jelly Tots" Totterdell
Marie Harrington

Team "We all go to the gym and watch our diets and snort protein powder out of each others arseholes"
Adam Farrell
David Mulrooney
Roger Thomas

Team "We're chancing our arms and we're not actually a team"
Greg Healy
Simon Grennell
Derv McAuley

Team "I'm really dreading what Finch is going to name this team" also known as Team "Silent but Violent"
The Kevinator
The Corminator
The Animator

Team formally known as "We're not fully decided on our team name and have a day to come up with one until Finch gives us a really derogatory name..." now known as Team "Dick munching ass-maggots"
Bill.I.Am Corbett
Ailbhe Tuohy
Jacqui Mernagh

Team "We're chancing our arms even more than Derv's Team and we are 100% absolutely not a team!"
Ross Kerrigan
Aoife Sheridan
Yvette Schutton

Team "Biggest Shwinging Dicks in this town"
Niall Finch
Denis Doyle
Ailbhe Cunningham

Team "Rockwell, featuring a surprise guest from Glenbeigh, Co. Kerry"
Ross "Head Honcho" Kerrigan
Greg "Handsome Healy" Healy
Sara "Library beast" Griffin

Team "We were needing A.N. Other but have since found our soul-mate through the medium of the internet and the well known match maker Niall Finch":
Nicki  Tynan
Andy Jeffers
Alex Murray

Team "We got there in the end"
Derv McAuley
Simon Grennell
Doireann Lawless

People looking for teams:
Diarmuid Ryan

Evan Ó Ceallacháin

Kieran McKevitt and Yvette Schutton

Ger Keane

Billy Brazil

Niall Bouchier
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 19:55:52 by Niall Finch »

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
Re: UCDCC BoaterX
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 17:02:26 »
How do teams work? Do ya just show up and organise a team?

Offline Niall Finch

• Safety Officer 13/14
  • Onwards and downwards !
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 17:04:37 »
Where possible organise teams beforehand, if you don't know someone of the right category post up saying who you're looking for and we'll try and make them up here on the forum to make the organisation a bit easier!

Offline Ross

• Captain 14/15
  • Varsities Committee 2018
  • Majestic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 17:14:38 »
To start off the annual debate, am I an oldie or college type for this event? (Not letting myself be called an oldy outside of this yet!)

Offline DervM

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 17:19:27 »
Think we're oldies

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 17:22:01 »
My thoughts on it have always been if the freshers know you and you're active and still studying in some way you can pass for college type. I'd think of Ross and Derv and Zog as college types for example!

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 17:29:29 »
Also got a team here!
Fresher: Niamh Delaney
College Type: Steven
Oldie: Peter

Myself and Peter have decided to set aside our differences from the last boater X* to put together a team that will put the fear of god into the rest of ye!

*Pretty sure Peter is still out to get revenge in the individual race

Offline ejok

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 18:18:31 »
Good thing you both have the full helmets then B-)

Offline Diarmuid

• Captain 13/14
  • Varsities Committee 2018
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 18:19:41 »
Wait a second, niamh is no fresher!

Offline Chunderdragon

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 18:29:29 »
I have a team!!

Marie, Cillian and Eleanor are ready to go

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 18:29:42 »
1st/ 2nd year not fresher....God Diarmuid learn to read!

Offline Steven Mul

• Safety Officer 14/15
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 18:30:32 »
It's less than two years paddling experience I believe so Niamh counts

Offline Zog

• Safety Officer 16/17
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 18:48:58 »
Fresher: Adam
College Type: Zog
Oldie: Rog

*I looked for a fresher with a name ending in "og" but could not find one.

Offline Kerry Gold

• Rory here
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 20:06:58 »
To start off the annual debate, am I an oldie or college type for this event? (Not letting myself be called an oldy outside of this yet!)

As it is called a "year of grace" the name that it is a period of transtition, and so you remain in your starting state until its over. (though  i think there is plenty of room to agrue weather the year starts when exams are finished or after graduationor whatever nurses are up to) in other words you're a student.

Offline DervM

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2016, 20:11:37 »

As it is called a "year of grace" the name that it is a period of transtition, and so you remain in your starting state until its over. (though  i think there is plenty of room to agrue weather the year starts when exams are finished or after graduationor whatever nurses are up to) in other words you're a student.

Already have undergrads for over a year and a half.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 20:27:41 by DervM »