Author Topic: lookin to buy  (Read 10699 times)

chuckie

lookin to buy
« on: March 12, 2004, 22:10:25 »
gonna open a can o worms on this one guys,  :)
am looking to buy a boat,probably 2nd handm am 5"7' 145 lbs .
was considering buying an inazone 220  :?:  but not too sure  :roll:
would be interested in getting something that surfs well on rivers/sea
any thoughts/comments/advice/abuse wranting?

Offline kmck

• "99"
lookin to buy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 13:26:37 »
Step one how much are you willing to spend? I decided I would spend 800 maximum on a boat I overspent by 29 euro.
You have basically decided to get an all rounder. This is something like what I have the I:3, have a look at the ez and the medievil they fall into this category.
Always try out a boat before you buy! Don't impulse buy a boat as you will suffer the consequences.
The problem with the inzone is it is very good, so long as it is not a sport edition, so they rarely surface for resale.

Offline kmck

• "99"
lookin to buy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 10:46:04 »
Riot booster for sale on Irishfreestyle. 575 plus a paddle.

Offline carlito

lookin to buy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 18:09:41 »
Booster is meant to be a pretty good boat.  Riot has an unfortunate habit of over-hyping their boats to death (I know from tragic experience) but I've heard a good few things about it and the few people I've met with one seemed happy.

You should go ask on Irishfreestyle and also try sites like boatertalk to get a broader perspective...

chuckie

lookin to buy
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 19:45:01 »
inazone 220 on freestyle €400...hmmmm

Offline cormac

lookin to buy
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 09:33:05 »
The Inazone 220 would be hard to beat for a fella your size and weight and level.

It's a grrrrreat boat!!!  Surf's well, runs rivers really well.

€400 is a great price too, just make sure it's not an Inazone Sport - if it is, walk away, it'll fall apart on Grade III+.

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
lookin to buy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 10:05:20 »
Inazone Sport - if it is, walk away, it'll fall apart on Grade III+.

I have to disagree with ya there Cormac. The sport editions of the InaZone are not nearly as good as the originals or the revamped 212, 222, 232, 242 series, but I don't think that they will fall apart on you Aodhan. The plastic isn't as strong and is a bit heavier, and the fittings (grab loops, thigh braces, and seat) are all not as good, but it is a good boat for the price you pay. I bought one for €500 in August and sold it for €480 the following September. The reason they are cheap is because the materials used are not top notch, but you get what you pay for and if you pad it out properly, the sport edition is a fine boat. Just don't buy it as a play boat because it is too heavy for tripple aerial donkey loop blunts. (Any other moves should be fine).

Aodhan, the reason that Pyranha brought out the sport edition is because they couldn't make enough InaZones to keep up with demand. It's a great boat, and as cormac said the 220 would be perfect for you.

My 12 cents.
Brendino?

Offline cormac

lookin to buy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 10:21:26 »
The plastic isn't as strong and is more prone to breaking when pinned, hitting rocks, piton-ing, falling off roofracks, boat-throwing comps, etc...

The Sports are fine boats but are not recommended by retailers for use on anything over grade III.

Offline meabh

• towel and tortilla on a world wide adventure
lookin to buy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 10:41:14 »
that being said your not going to be doing too much manic paddlin over the summer and i thought u said ud do a lot of surfin so it shouldnt get too beaten and as brendino said you can sell it again soon when you need a better boat, 400 is dead cheap.

although bear in mind god is selling off demo boats on 3rd of april so have a look there before you decide for deffo.

my 3cent

xxx

hehe my name is still in green

Offline kmck

• "99"
lookin to buy
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2004, 10:59:21 »
I3 222 for sale on Irishfreestyle though at 850 when I got mine last year for 829 in GODS I wonder.  :roll:

Offline €uroboy

lookin to buy
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2004, 11:00:19 »
I bought an Inazone 230 a few years ago and I have no regrets. It's a very comfy boat once padded out and it performs really well enabling you to improve your paddling 10-fold (well ... it did for me IMHO). I had mine until I got my level 4 proficiency and I know others did too (Suzzie, Donogh? and many others). Due to cashflow I wasn't able to keep it and have another one at the same time so I sold it. Others still had theirs for quite some time and bought another one which is testament to their financial situation and their confidence in the boat. The reason for my sale was for my personal paddling requirements, therefore needing a different kind of boat. It had nothing to do with the Inazone. If your standard is high enough you will be able to run almost any kind of river in it so you can't really go wrong with it.

When you do inspect it ensure that you do a thorough examination: general condition of hull and edges (cracks, scrapes, bumps, quality/thickness of plastic under the seat, is it banana-shaped from being pinned?), thigh grips, thigh grip screws (make sure they're all there and functioning well), seat, seat bolts (any cracking in seat or hull emanating from bolts? Again make sure they are there and functioning well. The seat (from memory) is fixed to the boat at four locations (two on either side) so make sure you examine all and that all the bolts/screws are there and functioning well. There's no point just seeing that they are there coz you would have wasted your cash when you come to moving the seat or thigh grips and you can't coz the screws/bolts have seized up. An easy but tedious way to check this is to actually take the seat out of the boat but that's a call you will have to make yourself. By doing so you will be able to examine the seat, the screws/bolts and the screw/bolt holes on the outside and inside of the boat. This list is not exhaustive to please add other areas to inspect if I missed any out. Oh, and never forget to try and get the price down if you can but 400 yoyo seems a good price.

Get your hands on a club Inazone and try it out on the water. After all this you may not even like it. If the club doesn't have one I'm sure if you asked around someone will be more than happy to loan you one in exchange for sexual favours :wink: Your deck may not fit the keyhole so take into account the purchase of a new one if need be.

I hope this helps and sorry for going on a bit too long.

André

Offline carlito

lookin to buy
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2004, 11:22:04 »
it shouldnt get too beaten

You've clearly never been surfin' in Easky then Meabh...

Hooooooge walls pitching up over a reef that' only about a foot underwater, breaking against massive, sharp, undercut rock platforms...

:twisted:  :shock:  :twisted:  :shock:  :twisted:  :shock:  :twisted:  :shock:

Oh yeah, bring on Easky

Offline Brendino

• People are always asking me if I know Tyler Durdan
lookin to buy
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 11:37:05 »
The plastic isn't as strong and is more prone to breaking when pinned, hitting rocks, piton-ing, falling off roofracks, boat-throwing comps, etc...

ALLOW ME TO ADDRESS THE ISSUES RAISED FOTHWITH......

I dont' think that Aodhan will be paddling many rivers in the immediate future where verticle pinning will be an issue. This is not a comment on your ability Aodhan but rather experience. So I dont think that verticle pinning will be an issue.

Hitting Rocks. Yes that will happen, but the plastic isn't that bad. I should know, I hit plenty in mine. Only a small issue.

Falling off roof racks. I didn't know Aodhan had a car. More chance of a verticle pinning I reckon.

Boat throwing Competition. You don't do this with your own boat.

I fully agree with you Cormac though, People with little experience on grade III + Water (me included in that group) shouldn't paddle one of the sports edition Ina Zones. However, they are great fun in the surf.

I'm trying to give advice to Aodhan and those people in the club who have about the same experience and who are looking at buying a boat. People with more experience and knowledge should be informed enough on the  manufacturing of boats by different companies to make their own decisions.

Offline cormac

lookin to buy
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 12:10:03 »
Agreed Brendino.

I am just coming from the point of view that in OAS when we're selling Sports we have been told to tell people that the plastic is weaker and they shouldn't expect to be able to put it through too much of a beating.  While Aodhán may not be getting the boat pinned with him in it, it might get pinned or beaten with him not in it (no offence Chuckmeister!) if you know what I mean.  Overall it'll probably be fine, and you can tie Meabh on the front as a bumper when you're surfing.

:D

Agreed Carl, bring on Easky

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  8)

Offline Sean Mc

• http://www.skynet.ie/~seanmc
lookin to buy
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 12:27:28 »
If it's any consolation chuckie, a friend of mine has an InaZone 230 sport and has taken it down several iv alpine rivers and it has taken itself down rivers on occasion too. All this with no problems or any more damage than my own orginal series 230 took on rivers throughout Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Switzerland. I'd even say mine got more damaged when I swam on the Beamish a fews years back.

Point to note though, when she bought the boat the guy selling it to us did remark that it was more like a 230 than a 230 sport. When it was bought the sport range had only been introduced about 2 weeks previously so it may have been a rebadged 230.

To back up what others have said, try out as many boats as possible before you buy.

c ya
Sean Mc

p.s. I hope I haven't jinxed my friends 230 sport now :?