Author Topic: tents?  (Read 6904 times)

Offline eoghanp

tents?
« on: April 14, 2004, 11:39:01 »
ok before we embark on another epic alps trip i wanna go and get myself a  tent so im looking for advice.

i want to keep the cost as low as possible (cos i have loads of other things to spend my money on) but i dont want no lidl wendy house.

it doesnt need to be able to keep me alive in -200 degrees (although i wouldnt mind it too) but i dont want to die of hypothermia.

anyone know where i can get such a piece of equipment?

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
tents?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 12:59:31 »
Hey eoghan,

you'd want something suitbale for 2/3 seasons as opposed to 1/2 seasons.
The tent itself isn't going to keep you warm or cold, it'll keep you dry (hopefully). Get a decent sleeping bag and you'll stay nice and toasty during the cold nights.

Things to consider when buying a tent would be:
How many people do you want it to fit? 2man, 3man, 4 man etc
How would you generally transport it? My tent packs away pretty big and kinda heavy, but i don't mind coz i always have a car with m,e when going camping. If i was going to be having to carry it around with me i'd prefer something smaller and lighter.

Decide what you want the tent for and the sort of places you'll be taking it before picking one up. Best bet is often to talk to the guys in th camping shops. They'll generally be fairly helpful.

Offline kmck

• "99"
tents?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 13:05:32 »
I bought my tent in france in one of the hypermarches. Bar having to seal the joins it has been waterproof for around 10 years at this stage. The price for these is quiet cheap in france. Mine is supposed to be a 3 man but fits 2 comfortably. It is light small and relatively easy to ptu up as camping in easkey has shown. Simplest advice is to look around, oas and gods but try Omaras camping they do good value tents and on the nass duel carraigeway just at the first set of lights after the motorway there is a camping shop in which my sister got a very good deal on her tent.

Offline carlito

tents?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 14:43:44 »
Eoghan,

I bought a Eurohike 4 man dome tent fot about £100 five years ago and it's still going strong.  It doesn't pack down particularly small or light but it has kept the wind and rain at bay in some big storms in Achill and Easky so it can't be all that bad.

Obviously, if you go for a cool mountaineering brand you're likely to get lighter, stronger, and better feaures, but you have to consider what you are using it for.  If Achill in August (with it's unpredictable weather) is the most extreme use you plan, then I wouldn't break the bank.  If you want a 7 seasons tent, or to be uber cool and host cocktail parties half way up Everst then apply for your mortgage now.

And as a P.S - remember, it doesn't matter how good the tent is if it is pitched badly, and vice versa: Lorraine and I once went to Strandhill with a tent that cost £19.99 that her mother bought for us in Quinnsworth, and we stayed dry and toasty in an awful storm that blew down Vango's and Vaude's all  around us (go me!).

Offline Gringo

tents?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 14:35:13 »
Go into Millets in town. Its past the jervis centre. The guys in there are really sound, know what they are talking about and most important the tents are deadly and really cheap in price. They have a wide variety to choose from and you're not paying for the cost of having the name of the shop on the bag.

Offline Cheesy

tents?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 18:12:40 »
Eoghan,
when it comes to tents VANGO VANGO VANGO.
I tried them all and these are the best for 2/3 season and they last!
try the vango hydra i thinks it's called, it's good.  I got the hydra 200+, sweet tent, cost me bout 200 yoyos back when they were pounds.

Offline El Diablo

tents?
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:49:36 »
lidl are doing a special at the moment 1 tent 2 sleeping bags 2 ground mats for 80 yo yos or something like that.  Would be okey for summer use.  

Another factor that I think is important is the porch space.  You want a tent with enough space for a rucksack or 2 in the porch and ideally enough space to cook in should the weather turn nasty.

Offline Liz

• Travel Photos
tents?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 17:58:44 »
Eoghan, I think I have the perfect solution. I'm selling my VANGO Dakota 4-man dome tent, with ample and very useful porch space as Mick so kindly pointed out, easy enough to put up, 3 poles, can keep outer layer and groundsheet/inner layer together or seperate when packing/unpacking, has LOADS of space inside and good height for tall people. It's just a bit too heavy and big for a girl like me who doesn't have a car and never usually manages to score anyone to fill it...
It's still in perfect shape, has had minimal use over 2 summers and anyone who has had the tour of it would probably vouch for its palace-like amenities! If any girlies wanted a girlie tent it'd also be totally perfect for that. Or if anyone knows anyone looking for a tent please put them on to me.
Will be going pretty cheap, I hadn't really thought about a price yet. We can work it out if you're interested. PM would prob be best or text me on 0049 176 24002602.
Liz