Author Topic: Stackallen, my shinning thing  (Read 8379 times)

Offline kmck

• "99"
Stackallen, my shinning thing
« on: November 13, 2006, 10:39:09 »
I don't know about anyone else, but certain rivers and their features really get the butterflies going in my stomach. For me, the Boyne has always had that affect. Directly in front of you when you arrive at the get-in is a weir. You know straight away that you have to get that done or else you will be facing a long wet paddle for the rest of the trip. I have had some great swims at Stackallen. The one I remember most is my first one. The river was running at a medium level and I paddled straight down the middle. I hit the first step and skewed slightly sideways (sound familiar?). I then went over into the stopper sideways and started getting churned around like in a washing machine. While being washed around I remembered having a conversation in a pub about this and that the recommendation had been to stick your paddles as far down as they will go. The next thing I knew I was free of the stopper and swimming, with my boat and paddles in my hands. I spotted my rescuer, Joxer. He shouted instructions and talked me to the bank. I brought my boat to the bank, emptied it, and got straight back in. Joxer offered me some hot drink and an explanation of why I swam, and away we went.
I have swum a number of times on that weir since, so in my mind it is a lot harder than it really is. The same is true of most places. If you swim, or see a lot of others swim, the feature gets a bigger name than it should.
So what's the point of this story? Well I hope it shows that we all get butterflies from time to time on rivers. That if you swim, you should get your gear and boat out of the water. Rescue will help but you have to do some work as well. It also shows that a warm drink and a quick explanation of why you swam can be of great help. Warm drink goes a long way. Your own mental attitude is very important in how you approach a rapid/weir and how you deal with the butterflies.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:51:45 by kmck »

Offline Mr C

• http://www.nerdz.ie
Re: Stackallen, my shinning thing
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 10:51:32 »
Just do your PhD.  ;D

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:06:33 »
While this is abstract, I don't think it's the abstract you're meant to be writing :)

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:15:04 »
I am on my fifth rewrite of said abstract. Will have another two done by lunch time. I am now waiting for the fifth to be covered in red pen.

Offline Una

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:52:04 »
KmcK, I made a similar mistake running Stackallen on Saturday, but managed to push of the weir with my paddles and actually remembered to keep paddling:)  I was dead chuffed that I stayed calm and kept going...otherwise I would have frozen my ass off for the rest of the day.

I'm totally with you on the fear factor of getting on the river right at the weir, it would be much more convenient to have some paddling in straight line as a warm up before the action!

Happy abstract writing.

Únaxxx

Offline Liz

• Travel Photos
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 15:46:02 »
Lidl will have long johns and other thermal underwear from next Monday...

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 16:25:18 »
I think stackallen is the only weir I've never taken a swim on (so, that'll be next time, now that I've said it...)

it's the diagnoal that kicks my ass. seriously, what's with that thing? I'm on one munchy swim, two straightforward swims, two unconscious rescues from a dope on a rope, and no recollection of ever having run it successfully.  :(

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 16:27:42 »
It's all in the edge and that last stroke over the weir.

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 16:35:52 »
yeah shut up, I know that. the question is, why do I keep swimming???  :P

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 17:39:02 »
cos you never go paddling??? perhaps.... I blame that on why I always swim, It averages out though , the more you paddle the more you don't swim, the less your overall swim:no swim ratio is

Offline Mr C

• http://www.nerdz.ie
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 19:13:01 »
If you're not swimming you're not trying. Simple. True.

I swam on Stackallen a few months ago - got caught under the downstream wall on the sluice gate on far river right. Thought I was great, for a moment. But then El Boyne kicked my ass!

We're all between swims!

Offline david

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 19:36:52 »
Well maybe you are, but I'm not.

Offline Lucy

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 19:47:15 »
well dave, that's just asking for abuse....."where is my roll?":P  ...no? ring a bell anyone? ....ur great really :-* 

Offline david

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 19:48:32 »
Hey juce, That nasty bout of the clap clearing up yet?

Offline Lucy

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 19:51:41 »
hey, that's just mean, and i'm ill....kicking me while i'm down...not cool.  :'(