Author Topic: Bouyancy aids  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Sara

Bouyancy aids
« on: February 07, 2007, 13:11:58 »
My Palm Axis Bouyancy has gotten alot of use in the two years since I bought it and Now the foam has shrunk by at least 1/3. I have to get it tested but i'm pretty sure it's not so safe anymore. Im a little reluctant to buy Palm again but I have heard that the foam will shrink whatever make you use. Anyone have any opinions on the following BAs??

The kokatat outfit tour
http://www.i-canoe.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_22_49&products_id=188

The palm womens rogue
http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/shopping_admin/product_details/product.cgi?product=KAP002&cat=Kayaking&sub=Kayaking--Apparel%20-%20PFDs

The HF serpent
http://www.mdac.ie/181.htm

or the Artisic Orco Expedition (which has fleecy pockets!!!)
http://www.mdac.ie/401.htm

Im not a fan of zips on BA's plus the palm one doesn't have much shoulder protection. Pckets would have to hold car keys, small camera, and a few mars bars :)

Sara

Offline david

Re: Bouyancy aids
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 14:23:23 »
The serpent looks cool. Ment to be pretty good. But they're pretty much all the same. You'll want big pockets though .

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 17:49:07 »
I have the serpent as do quiet a few others, not many boancy have much in the shoulders any more, well not the more expesive types. I don't know why but may have to do with the internal harness? I have found it excellent in that it has plenty of pocket space, for mars bars, knife and slings.

Offline Sean

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 09:28:03 »
Hey Sara,

I bought the HF serpent before I went away to Uganda, as the old school one I had, definitely wouldn't have held up to the volume of water and whirlpools.

Couple of points,

1.  I find it has plenty of buoyancy and fits really well out of water - nice and low profile.

2.  HOWEVER, once submersed the strapping system seems a bit suspect (IMHO), as I felt while swimming  :-* the BA tended to really want to rise up my chest, perhaps you being a girl and having certain appendages, the BA wouldn’t be able to rise as much. Either way, you certainly have to tighten it in a particular order i.e. bottom straps first, then quick release strap, then shoulder straps.

ABOVE problem is especially noticeable when the quick release strap is undone . . . i.e. If you've had a problem doing a rescue, release and then swim - I'd be slightly wary of this.

Also if you over tighten the quick release strap it has a tendency to become undone by rubbing against the material beside the pocket - again be careful.

3.  I found the pocket a little on the small side possibly due to its wedge shape, by the time I had an open sling and river knife in it I hadn't any space left for mars bars, sun cream stick or sun glasses - you got to look cool  ;D

4.  It has a zip, though I didn't use it as it too much hassle rethreading the straps each time but it would be quite helpful for move ability of the BA if you dislocated either shoulder.

The other BA I was thinking of getting at the time was the Astral 300R, though this is a bit on the pricey side - hence why I went for the HF serpent. The astral BA is savage and if you have the money I'd definitely go for this - it fits better, well me anyway, the Z-Strap is bomber and its got huge pockets and incorporates the fleece hand warmers for the Boyne  ;D as far as I remember the only downside to this BA was the fact that the stitching in the integrated belay loop had a tendency to loosen and tear after use, though even in the cases where this happened the belay loop maintained its integrity - pretty important if you were in the middle of an abseil.

Anyway hope this helps

Sean

ps, I bought my buoyancy from www.suescanoes.co.uk they deliver free of charge from the U.K. and when on sale the HP serpent was €150 to my door. I think it would save you a bout a tenner plus postage even now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:33:59 by Sean »

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 17:13:16 »
I really tihnk it would have to depend on which came in the widest range of colours, and it definately would have to come in the same colour as my boat, yknow? You gotta think about these things too Sara. Tsssh.

Offline Sara

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:16 »
Bex
Please pleeeaaassse post that under this post on freestyle!!

Sara

Offline bexifurr

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 11:45:16 »
Oh for sure. It's serious issue that Irish freestyle paddlers just ignore. You know, you only gotta look at the leading European paddlers to know that i'm being deadly serious.

You know, I met a guy in Uganda called Remi Wegman, and he has two four twentys (Pyranha playboat) - one in blue to go with his longsleeved cag and one in yellow to go with his shortie cag for Uganda!

This could really help us win competitions.

So, for varsities, let's not pick paddlers based solely on their ability, but we must also take into account their dedication to colour coordination.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 12:11:53 »
So my all orange motiff will work shame about the helmet.