Author Topic: Buying Blades  (Read 9168 times)

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
Buying Blades
« on: February 20, 2008, 13:41:10 »
Hey Hey,
I'm planning on buying some blades this week, wondering if some people could give me a bit of advice?
I've narrowed it down to the following three. I'll be using these for a bit of playboating but more so river running.

I'm thinking 193cm in lenght and 45o Feather.

Player Freestyle Paddle
Sherpa WW Paddle
Sidekick Paddle

Any and all advice welcome!!
Thanks

Offline kmck

• "99"
Re: Buying Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 13:47:23 »
May I suggest 30 degree feather. Easier on the wrists and you say playboating is important. You will stil get some advantage when paddling into the wind, but you aren't doing any racing or large ocean crossings.

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 14:48:20 »
I go with either the sherpa or the player. The face on the sidekick is large than the other 2. I used to paddle a sidekick and now use players. I prefer the slightly smaller face. I've found that they're more responsive. I've spoken to many people who have the same feeling.

Between the sherpa and the player, I'd probably go with the player. I haven't used the sherpa, but based on what it says on the werner website, the player sounds a bit more versatile for the type of paddling you're looking at doing.

In terms of length and feather, that's a personal choice. Some people prefer long blades, others short ones. I used ot have 191s now i've 194s. I liked both lengths but the 194s would probably be my preference. Both sets were 45 degree I think. I think the standard with Werner is 45 degree, but you may be able to get a different feather if you request it. Never had a problem with a 45 degree feather. there's a bit more wrist work on the 45 than a 30 obviously, but again, it's up to you and you're best going with whatever you find the most comfortable and the most responsive on the water.

hope that helps,
slapper

Offline Cathy

• bebo
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 15:36:25 »
And make sure both blades are the same!!!   ;)

Offline david

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 15:50:49 »
Get cranks,

with a low feather,

in a bright colour.

Nothing else matters....

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 15:58:48 »
lenght is really up to you. i have 194 in river running blades and my playboating ones are 190. ( though ive been told river running blades should be longer)

you want long blades for river running short ones for playboating. so if you want both you'll need to go for an inbetwen lenght.

as for the feather the bigger the degree the harder it will be doing tricks and stuff my playboating ones are 0 and my river ones 30 i can barely use 45's now . cartwheeling and stuff is easyer with a lower degree feather

my advice get 0's What the hell is the point of feather anyway??? wind resistance or something? im not a fecking sea kayaker!

that is all

Offline Jim

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 16:55:15 »
I don't know much about the particular paddles you mention Kyle, but I'd look at the feather issue. If you have good reason for going 45, go ahead, but I find lots of people use 45 because that's what the shops have, or go to 30 if someone suggests it. I've paddled zero degree for years now and don't have any issues. If you are playboating maybe it's different - I don't know anything about that. Paddles have feather for historical reasons that are mostly not relevant.

I'd suggest trying out flat paddles first. Takes about ten minutes to get the hang of it, then you're sorted and definitely won't get wrist problems later.

Jim.   

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 17:02:55 »
Thanks for all the replies lads. I was thinking of going with 10/15o.
A good few are saying 0o could be best so I might try get my hands on a set and go with that.

I've used 90, 45 and 0(with cranks) and gotten used to them all within a few minutes so I might just shoot this blind and go 0o's Player Freestyle straight off.

I'm going more towards rivers than playboating, I think that came out wrong in the original post.
River running ~80/85% and Playboating ~15/20%

Thanks again Lads!

Offline Cathy

• bebo
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 17:06:22 »
I am a lady, excuse u!  :P and that was good sound advice i gave u!!

Offline Mark

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 17:12:34 »
Another backer of 0 degree paddles. Everytime i have to use 45degrees i cringe.

Get bright coloured paddles like Dave said. Black is hard to find when the water is dark brown.
When ordering online you sometimes don't know what colour you'll get, so ask.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 20:53:50 »
All the blades you listed are werner which means you'd have to wait about six months at least if you want any angle other than 45. (They basically mass manufacture them to 45 so they wait until all other orders are done before thinking about setting yours) I had that problem when getting my double diamonds, I previously had 30 but didn't bother waiting and got 45's. To be honest the only difference I've found is that it's harder to flatwater loop, and harder to backdeck roll on your offside as you have to twist alot more, with 45's, other than that there's no problems. I also find when moving from using blades with a big angle, like the club ones you've been using it's nice to have a small twist-like 45. Go for the players they rock!! Definitely one of the best all round blades out there, I'd go for 194 if your goina play and river run.

Ps- the my robsons that you've been using from time to time are 191, and 45 degrees.

oh and don't bother with cranks unless you really need them, their just more expensive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 20:55:58 by Dave B »

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 21:28:44 »
Cheers Dave!
Didn't think there'd be that big a wait :(

EDIT:spelling
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:34:55 by kjt »

Offline Lorcan

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 09:44:27 »
Hey

Just be carefull with the Weiners. I have a set of players which are great blades but they are a bit fragile for irish rivers. I took chunks out of them the first time i used them here.

L

Offline Sara

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 10:01:30 »
I paddle with Sherpas bought in the shop set at 30 degrees 194cm in length. I find them fine for river running although it has been suggested that the blade face is a bit big for me. Lets know if you want to borrow them, Ill be in Limerick at the weekend.

Good Luck

Offline kjt

• My online portfolio
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:34 »
Ahh I'll be gentle with them then Lorcan  ;)

Thank Sara :)