Author Topic: Buying a new BA - Advice wanted  (Read 8957 times)

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
Buying a new BA - Advice wanted
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:07:19 »
Hey,

After 7 years of using the same BA, I've finally decided that I should probably upgrade it. As there is a massive range of different BAs available since I last purchased one, I thought I'd seek some thoughts.

However, I've got a gift voucher for GODs and was thinking of putting it towards a new BA. That gives me the very wide range of choice of Palm, Palm or Palm.

The two options they have for whitewater are:
The Axis Extreme
http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/product.aspx?prodid=287
or
The Extreme 2
http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/product.aspx?prodid=286

Anyone use one of these or know good/bad things about them?

Are there other BAs on the market for similar money that are much better? (even if it means not buying from the marvelously wide range of products available at GODs).

I missed Tom's presentation at the safety weekend about BAs so if there were some good points on what to look out for, let me know.

Cheers

Offline david

Re: Buying a new BA - Advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:30 »
I have the Axis and I fuckin Love it!!!!

I think that the other one has too much buoyancy.

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:31:35 »
The gist of Tom's BA talk was that all BAs are good, mmmkay? and some have different features than others and that 'it depends.' At least that's what I think he said, but in more detail.

A number of us (including Tom) have Astrals. For my money, these are the business: 

Astral Aquavest 300

Jim.

Offline cormac

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:27:44 »
Get the one that suits you best rather than the one you have a token for.  If it turns out to be Palm then well and good; if not use the token for something else or sell it to someone.

Everyone (except Tom) will probably recommend their own BA, so here goes, though they currently appear to be sold out - which tells its own story:

http://www.paddle-power.com/products/hf_baids.htm

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:42:48 »
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've started playing on Lorcan's canoe polio team, so need a polo BA as well. I'm thinking I could use the voucher for a polio BA and possibly get a different type for WW.

Tom did mention the fact that the O-ring on his BA has a wide area to slide between which can be quite off-putting when anchored.

Cheers for the advice.

Offline Kerry

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:14:53 »
ashamed eh!! I'd get you kicked off the team if your weren't so good and look so good with your top off.  ::)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 13:54:00 »
I have to say I think the palm axis is the business, it's not too big- I used it freestyling on the nile- it's good and solid, and i really love the big pocket- I can fit a sling, three crabs, knife, two prusics, scull cap, food, and still have some room- that's pretty much a pin kit and extras on me all the time. It'll probably take a while but palm are starting to change the foam in their ba's to the same stuff windsurfers use- overtime it molds into the shape of your body for a better fit.

I find the astral too small and can't carry all the kit I want, and the serpent only has one strap around the middle- which means if you ever have to release the cowtail you only have the two bottom straps and shoulder straps keeping the BA on you.

Offline kill

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 16:01:05 »
I agree. Palm are great. You should go to the Great Outdoors and buy a Palm bouyancy aid. Then, maybe you should have a think about buying some other products by Palm from the Great Outdoors.

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 23:41:09 »
As mark put it ages ago:

Offline johnnyg

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:45 »

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:57:15 »
hi i used the axis exrteme 2 and got rid of it, it has great bouncy but as with all palm bouncies i think the cut is dreadfull its right up in your arm pits and i just found using it really akward and inhibiting to my movement. im using a kokatat one now and i love it, it has similar bouncy and same cost but is just so much better cut. ill post up the link when i have more time or just pm me.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 14:56:57 »
I like the serpent, I tried the axis and the extreme and for my shape and size the serpent was better fitting, the quick release can come loose but the boancy does not move about.

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 15:46:11 »
I think Simon might be right about the palm axis-its brilliant for me but i can see how it might be a pain in the ass for people with a big chest and arms and i have heard people moaning about it before. Try and demo someone's for the weekend to make sure it fits your body cos it is a brilliant buoyancy aid

Then again, the only other bouyancy i can compare it to are the club ones and Killians 11 year old, purple racing BA that can no longer keep your head above water..... 

Offline joey

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 16:30:21 »
I'd have to agree with Dave! The axis isthe way to go, the main difference between the axis and extreme 2 is that the extreme 2 comes with ten newtons extra buoyancy but this is placed in the pocket and so has a very small pocket if its in.

I used to work in great outdoors and alot of people brought it back saying it rode up too high under their arms but when we asked them to show us they wud put it on and tighten the bottom straps and then start tightening the shoulder ones pulling the jacket further and further up. We just told them not to tighten it so much and it stops it riding up.

the only problem i have with mine is that most of the straps are too long and can get in the way, but seen as i'm bout half your size id say u wud be ok!

Offline kill

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 17:33:17 »
That purple bouyancy-aid actually drags you down.