Author Topic: scary or what?  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Sick Boy

scary or what?
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:39:16 »
http://irishwhitewater.com/gauge/index.php

picture yourself getting on the flesk at 1. yesterday.

Offline Diarmaid

Re: scary or what?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:33 »
holy shit!

what are the y-axis units on that gauge?

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 13:11:47 »
NERD!

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 13:13:21 »
Y-axis units are the height of water in cms just upstream of the bridge at the put in.

From Daithi's website, with typical understatement:

"70cm is just runnable, tough on gear, no big holes on the drops but
falling over in the wrong place could well require a trip to the hospital
100cm is medium, holes have appeared, swims are nasty
130cm and above is high, not for the faint hearted"

...or if you prefer, it runs from zero to scary.

Offline allio

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 15:13:59 »
i ran it once at 1.80...

myself richard pierce and fergal o'mahony arrived to find about 40 paddlers talking about going to have a look at the roughty, and promptly got on the river, laughing at the wimps left behind on the bank... it is super fun at that level, huge and spongy and a complete rollercoaster... me and fergal were in our playboats (s6 and sub7) and richard was in a H2. we got to the first gorge pretty quickly... commonly accepted policy is to walk the first gorge above 1.30 due to closed out stoppers, but vain fools that we were we decided to have a quick scout. we hmmmed and hawwed about marginal lines and then fergal turns to richard and infamously says "you know if i had a creeker i'd try it....". needless to say, this put richard on the spot and off he went ot have a go. he got righteously spanked in the monster hole, much to our glee.... it took us quite a while to retrieve his boat, at which point myself and fergal decided it would be stupid for two of us to attempt the rest of the river in playboats...

my experience with the river at that level was that it wasn't scary at all.........

:)

allio

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 15:48:08 »
"you know if i had a creeker i'd try it...."

That's typical Mahony and an early example of river poker. I'll bet he'd never have said that if he had a creeker with him. Now that I think of it, most of my scary days on the Flesk involved Mahony and Pierse.

It should be noted, though, that the Flesk guage got moved around maybe two winters ago and had to be recalibrated. My general rule would be that if 40 punters are walking away and Allio/Mahony/Pierse are getting on, then there'll be 41 punters walking away...

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 17:34:28 »
i was thinking just in terms of how quickly it rose.

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 22:04:34 »
it rose almost my height in... 3 hours?

Offline allio

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 19:12:00 »
bump....

check the gauge now.....

now that is really scary.............

:)