Author Topic: Swimming Pool in Belfield  (Read 10393 times)

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
Swimming Pool in Belfield
« on: September 05, 2008, 13:10:59 »
UCD have a planning application lodged for a 50m swimming pool which I think has been granted by now. It's to be built between the sports centre and the student forum.

It would be a good idea for the canoe club to get in touch with the UCD sports council and lobby them allow us use the swimming pool for pool sessions and canoe polo practice.

This may have already been done, but if it hasn't, it would be a good idea to get in touch with the relevant people fairly soon. Justification for allowing us use the pool could be given in terms of how much it costs us to hire another pool each week, the amount of time wasted travelling  to and from town to go to pool sessions which could instead be spent on the water teaching people, the annual crap performance of our polo team at varsities etc.

As I said, maybe it's already been done, but if not it's worth thinking about.

John

Offline joxer

Re: Swimming Pool in Belfield
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 14:15:18 »
hi John,
I was just talking about this to rodger last night. did you know DCU will not allow there club which has a very good polo record use their new pool. I think we really need to talk to the department of sport about this.

John

Offline Siobhan UL

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 14:32:55 »
UL gets free use of their pool 3 evenings a week so it might be an example worth mentioning.  Public access to the pool is open until 9:45 and the club heads in after that until the centre closes at 11pm although they have to share half the pool on Thursdays with the water polo team.

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 15:44:02 »
trinity use their pool twice a week and dit have their 'crappy old' pool twice a week also!!

Poooooollllll partys ............... probably not in collage but anyone want to offer up theirs to us?? ... pee-ih!!

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 15:57:15 »
dit have their 'crappy old' pool

Ooooh! For years Kevin Street was the only college in Dubin with a pool. It's been there since the 80s! You guys still don't have one. Disrespect ye not the mighty Kevin Street pool, in all its 15-metre majesty...

Jim.

Offline Ritchie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 16:08:22 »
i think we all know that this project won't get finished until at least 2020. by which time an engineer from the canoe club will be overseeing and managing the project and can provide a wave-machine and jungle rapids (big enough for a playboat)..... all the rest of us need do in the mean time is sit back and do nothing.

*i hope my point was useful*

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 16:36:48 »
It's been there since the 80s! You guys still don't have one.

O my God,  you mean they actually had pools in the 80s.

At this stage to have the club needs incorporated into the design would save lots of hassle for some poor committee down the road. Simply including polo goals and allowing space for boats and other gear.

There will be lots of competition for use of the pool and it might work out to expensive for the club to use to. Even though they will build it with student money.

Offline Tr Ash

• Your an inanimate f&%king object!!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 21:57:35 »
yeah the pool will prob give ya times no prob once ya apply.....just make sure ya have a separate set of boats for the pool to use cause they'll kick up a fuss if your using the same boats for the pool as for the river( happened to us before we got polo boats).....and that gives ya a reason to apply to your college for money for boats for your team! :)

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 15:59:36 »
Poooooollllll partys ............... probably not in collage but anyone want to offer up theirs to us?? ... pee-ih!!

No

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 19:15:00 »
your out of the country you dont have a say!!

p.s. can you chop off your finger and send it to us ... preferably in a bag of ice!!

Offline kill

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 19:24:24 »
I dunno does it need to be alive...

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 12:15:37 »
if the finger prints are still good i dont think it matters!!

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 13:46:15 »
The University Observer
September 2011

University Unveils New Swimming Pool Plans

Following harsh scaling back on the budget for the new student centre in UCD and concerns over delays to building time, Hugh Brady has today unveiled its new plans for a 50m swimming pool for the university.

Costing just a fraction of the cost mooted for the original design, this new pool complex is, as the designers, UCD Canoe Club, report, "capable of being stowed away within a matter of seconds."

"It's really an ingenious concept," said their Captain in an interview this week. "Instead of a permanent structure, we will simply be funding private handstand tutorials for one of our members, Alison Murray. This will make available a 50m pool-like space that requires negligible civil engineering and can be removed to allow other use of the site by a simple reversal of the handstand."

US gymnast Nastia Liukin has been rumoured to be attached to the training phase of this proect, with the pool expected to be open for business by the start of the 2012 academic year.

Offline david

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:43 »
all the water sports captains got asked their opinions a few years ago. I submitted a series of proposels like storage room and racks for boats, a low deck and little spot for washing boats to be built in to the original plan.

Right now a team of six or seven engineers and planners are all sitting around my ideas woundering how best to totally ignore them.

Oh well. I'll be a successfull and wealthy "old person" with a drysuit, estate car and, fingers crossed, my own swimming pool.

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 03:47:58 »
haha niccceee diarmie