Author Topic: Buoyancy Aids...  (Read 7155 times)

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
Buoyancy Aids...
« on: May 25, 2009, 17:23:42 »
Though I am fully aware of the dangers in asking a "which-should-I-buy" question...
... Which should I buy? ;)

I was thinking of the Astral Greenjacket (http://www.i-canoe.com/Buoyancy+Aids/Rescue+PFDs/Astral+Green+Whitewater+Kayaking+Rescue+PFD.html)

But would the Kokatat of Stohlquist ones on i-canoe be any better/worse?

Cheers.

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
Re: Buoyancy Aids...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 19:29:18 »
I think the Kokatat ones look nifty, wasn't so big a fan of the Greenjacket, can't think why other than it's a bit 'gadgety' and the big moving frontpanel kinda seems weird in safety vest? Don't know if it's just me, but it's worth thinking about. Worth noting is that I have the playboating vest with the same panel and I don't wear it all that often, for the same reasons as above and almost never on a river. If you like the fit of the Astral vest try one of their Aquavests (300r?), I use it and reckon it's it's got all the right bits in the right places. It has it's drawbacks but overall it's pretty cool.

Simon R. has the Kokatat and Kill has/had the Stohlquist, ask them if you can try them on and see what you think.

If I had to change mine today I would go for the same again or the Kokatat for the handiness of the entry zip.

Best of luck.

Conor.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 19:34:09 by Monkey Loving Bob »

Offline kill

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 20:44:35 »
I gave my Stohlquist to Lambe. I'm pretty sure they don't make them any more. Get the Palm Axis. All the cool kids do. You just won't fit in otherwise.

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 21:55:05 »
i can vouch for the aquavest just got one this year and absolutely love it. alternatively you can lose about 20kgs and buy my palm one about two threads down  ;D

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 22:41:12 »
If only, Caz...if only... ;)

Offline Douchier

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:54:20 »
I think that you should get the Kokitat one, only because "Ronin" kind of sounds like "Rowan" - if you've got some kind of speech problem.

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 13:21:38 »
I have the Greenjacket and I like it. I heard the Ronin is good too, so maybe you should listen to Douchier - I think he makes a good point

Offline Simon R.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 18:11:17 »
i have the kokatat Ronin, i like it nice fit, doesn't get in the way. good bouyancy placement. very easy to put on and take off, im a big fan of the zip which i didnt think id like before i bought it. ive found it very comfortable.

pockets are on the small side would be my only complaint

Offline Douchier

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 22:56:21 »
maybe you should listen to Douchier - I think he makes a good point

He has as it happens, and only for the reasons that I gave, not for any others.

Sorted...

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 14:47:53 »
Thanks Douche, that was indeed the only reason for my choice of the Kokatat.
 ;)