Author Topic: All New Members! First Thursday Pool Session + Dun Laoghaire on Sat  (Read 16586 times)

Offline Eoghan

• Captain 11/12
Right, so firstly we would like to welcome all members, new and old, to another year with
UCD Canoe Club.This is, primarily, to inform all you new members (affectionately known as FRESHERS!!) of the events happening in the club over the next week and a half.

Thursday: FIRST POOL SESSION OF THE YEAR!!woop!!
So the plan is to arrive at the front gate of Trinity at around 7:20-7:30pm

- All you need are: togs, towel, a smile and some money for the pub afterwards.

- From UCD: hop on the 10 bus (on campus beside the Engineering Building or at the Main Entrance on the N11). Get off the bus at the bottom of Grafton Street and stroll over to the Front Gate of Trinity link: front gate There will no doubt be people with paddles loitering  inside the gate - walk over and talk to them, we don't bite!

- If you have any problems or are going to be very late don't worry - give one of the committee a call. All of our numbers are on your club card. (or find them here http://www.ucdcanoeclub.com/index.php?page=11)

- From Trinity we will walk up (en mass) towards the pool on Sean MacDermott Street for fun, frolics, a few lenghts to test the old swimming, and a bit of practise in a kayak. AND.... then on to O' Neill's pub on Pearse Street (where pints of fosters are only €4!!!) and beyond...who knows where the night will take us! (generally Doyle's)(occasionally messrs.but always fun!)

Saturday: We will be setting up at Dun Laoghaire for the afternoon (the weather's to be nice). So if ye can get there for 11am with again the same stuff as Thursday night, ie. Togs, towel, drink money and a smile. All the equipment will be provided but you should bring a spare pair of old runners or booties, and if you have your own wetsuit and/or booties bring them also as they'll be nicer.

Dun Laoghaire is all about meeting getting comfortable, meeting new people and getting a bit of experience in a kayak and turning it etc. you certainly don't have to have ever been in a boat before, EVER! It is a very safe environment - there will be instructors and loads of people helping out on the water and land. Don't hesitate to ask them for help - it'll give them an excuse to look busy.  :)

For those of you that do not know how to get to Dun Laoghaire here are some easy directions.

Bus The best bus to get would be the 46A to Dun Loaghaire Dart Station. Get off the bus and walk away from Dun Laoghaire past the Dart Station towards the direction of Salthill and Monkstown. You will come to a bridge on your right, cross over it and you should see us there with a lot of kayaks and the odd canoe.

Dart If you are getting the dart, get out and turn right and walk away from the station towards Salthill and Monkstown. same story applies there.

After the "session" on the water we hope to have a BBQ set up near by. From there we will hopefully have a party to head to or if not, into town!

WE SAID THE CLUB HAS A LARGE SOCIAL ELEMENT!  ;D

Wednesday 23rd: Welcome to the club night - meeting back up with your fellow freshers, other members, the committee and hearing more about the plans for the year to come - and free booze to ease the pain of talking to the committee members!

NB. Don't contemplate not coming because none of your friends are. Most people will arrive not knowing anyone else and ready to meet new people and make new friends, KEEP AN OPEN MIND!

So to finish up this is a stress free club! We won't hassle you to come but for your own benefit I would highly recommend that you try get to as many of these early events as you possibly can.

See you on Thursday (or at the stand at the Sports Expo),

Eoghan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:30:26 by ska-child »

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
Re: All New Members! First Thursday Pool Session + Dun Laoghaire on Sat
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 21:44:02 »
Just to add a bit, if you have thermals, bring them to the Saturday trips too. Don't bring anything cotton because that just absorbs the water and makes you cold. Jeans are bad too, anything like polyester is good!!

Offline Asho87

• If you were celery I'd stalk you.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:01:23 »
Woot woot for the free booze!!! Rock on committee! :)

Tomorrow (or today even) is BOOZEDAY TUESDAY!! If you can find us that is ;) Ask at the freshers stand :)

Jer

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:53 »
If you're getting the DART it's easier to get it to Salthill and Monkstown.

Offline Markus

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:23 »
For those of you that do not know how to get to Dun Laoghaire here are some easy directions.

Bus The best bus to get would be the 46A to Dun Loaghaire Dart Station.
The 46A also stops at Clarence Street. So get off the bus when you see water straight ahead, turn left and cross the DART here.
Am I right? I just was there once.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 14:07:54 by Markus »

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:00:16 »
BOOZEDAY TUESDAY :D

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:45:20 »
Well, boozeday tuesday should definitely lead to TEQUILA WEDNESDAY, Pints in O'Neill's on thursday, hangover friday and Super Slammer Saturdays!!!

Welcome one and all, I hope to see you in dun laoghaire after the paddling (stupid exams) But partying saturday will be epic!

Conor.

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 18:00:16 »

Bus The best bus to get would be the 46A to Dun Loaghaire Dart Station.
The 46A also stops at Clarence Street. So get off the bus when you see water straight ahead, turn left and cross the DART here.
Am I right? I just was there once.  ;D
Not quite, the place we set up is straight across the water from where you have the bing map placed!!

Offline Towelyey

• Boobs Officer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 14:15:27 »
Well, boozeday tuesday should definitely lead to TEQUILA WEDNESDAY,

BOOZEDAY TUESDAY was an drunken success :D and it being tuesday aka tequila tuesday it began with beerquila then to shots of tequila which led 'successfully' to winequila and suicidal pig!!!!!!!

epicness to the most drunken degree!!!!

Offline finch

• Committee 10/11
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 15:08:20 »
Ouch - well after waking up in the boathouse an hour ago with no phone or bag i'm going to agree that it was a success !!!! Roll on Thursday  ;D

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 19:56:08 »
I've even turned off the lights in there for you since!

Offline JODY

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 20:19:33 »
Did suicidal pig carry on into town??? If not i'm very dispointed!!!

Offline Bill C

• This can only go well
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 20:28:01 »
Pardon my naive ignorance, but what is a suicidal pig?