Author Topic: I think it's time...  (Read 17318 times)

Offline AENGUS!

Re: I think it's time...
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 15:04:13 »
Just thought I'd explain the reasons for what I got..... Think a good cag is probably the best thing to get first, cos I've worn a dry cag before and the difference is huge...keeps you really warm, and when you take it off at the end of the day(a bit of a struggle!) all of your thermals are still dry which is class!

The reason I went for a paddle aswell is that having used good paddles a couple of times the difference I noticed was huge. It really can make a difference to your paddling, where as once you have a helmet or a bouancy aid on it doesn't really make a huge difference wether it's a club one or your own. Obviously I'm not exactly hugely experienced but that's just what I've found!! ;D

Offline Ley-Ley

• Committee 10/11
  • Banana Officer
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 15:10:37 »
If your willing to pay for top notch for great quality termals then you should have a look at this company

http://www.fourthelement.com/thermal_protection.php

They are aimed at divers but I don't see why you couldn't use it for Kayaking. I don't know if GOD's do them but there's a dive shop beside Ringsend bus garage that do them, or if you want you could give me the money and I could get you one in the Kilkee dive shop when we head down!

Offline Douchier

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 15:19:55 »
To dip slightly aside for a mo' I was pricing a helmet from a uk site. I thought to investigate how much shipping cost for a boat was. Myself and Karen were slightly suprised.

Item  Qty Price GBP £ Value GBP £

view  Prescription RX - Dagger

Styles:  Colours: Sky Blue, Size: 6.7,

1 £599.00  £599.00 
  Item Total
GBP £

Â£599.00
      Courier Service
 Delivery - Courier / Our Van Carriage Charge
GBP £

Â£1150.00
   Total (inc VAT)
GBP £ £1749.00

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 15:28:44 »
That's because they're using a courier instead of a haulage company like DHL. You could probably get it a lot cheaper if you arranged for one of the big companies to collect it on your behalf and then to deliver to you.

I just checked wetsuit outlet and they seem to charge a flat rate delivery charge of £6.95 even for a GT

Offline Matt

• Senior Treasurer 13/14
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 16:13:55 »
Niall I saw that myself today. I found a site that charges £52 for shipping a boat to Ireland from the UK
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 16:15:37 by Matt »

Offline Douchier

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 16:48:40 »
Why would they even bother pricing something like that? I found a site that I like the look of, http://www.desperate-measures.co.uk/ It doesn't have a proper online ordering service (you have to ring them up) but they seem to have a good range and ok prices (including for delivery)

I don't know why I bother - I'm not even in the market for a boat..

Offline Nuala

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 16:53:02 »
Yeah, don't you have a GT already?

Offline Douchier

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 16:54:03 »
Yeah, you want it?

Offline kill

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 19:15:54 »
Not this f##king post again. Just get some streamers and a bell. They're the most important to buy first because <insert own personal opinion here>.

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 20:17:22 »
I find the best steamers are to be found in Cleveland.

Offline fityounggranny

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 20:19:42 »
Most important of all is the go-faster-stripes.

You wont have to listen to people on the back screaming 'PADDLE HARDER!', it's already done by the stripes!!

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2008, 15:29:16 »
Hey Luce- before i went to Uganda i ordered some gear off www.kentcanoes.co.uk- I didn't have to pay for postage cos my cousin brought it over to Ireland for me but it still should work out a lot cheaper than going to GOD's especially since the sterling is so brilliantly crap at the moment!!

Oh and i definitely agree with Clarkey. Go-faster stripes are probably the most important bit of gear you'll ever own if you wanna be a shit hot boater. I'd get them- even if you don't have a boat. Just stick them to yourself

Offline kill

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 15:42:17 »
But take them off at night or Emmet might stop trying to pace himself  ;)

Offline Diarmaid

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 20:57:53 »
if you put go faster stripes across a boat does it make you capsize?

Offline Pia!

• Bzz Bzzz Bzzzzzz *plop*
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 21:49:48 »
Nope, but i find putting a Diarmaid in a boat makes it capsize