Author Topic: I think it's time...  (Read 17321 times)

Offline Diarmaid

Re: I think it's time...
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 22:07:31 »
yeah but if you strap me to the underside you'll never capsize.

deep water only. bring me a snorkel.

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2008, 16:32:27 »
Thought I'd open this one up again instead of starting a new thread... ;D

I'm looking for a cag, and not sure whether to go for a fully- or semi-dry one. I'm not really able to afford the sidewinder at full price, but is there any reason why something like this...

http://www.i-canoe.com/Unisex+Water-wear/Drytops/Stohlquist+Freeplay+Drytop.html

...wouldn't be as good? Or maybe the Helix that I-canoe also have?

Or is it better to go for a semi-dry and suffer a bit more :D :-\

Offline kill

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2008, 16:56:46 »
Semi-drys are fine for boating but if you can afford the dry top, go for a dry top. It's more comfortable if you're doing a lot of playboating. By all accounts I can see nothing wrong with the one you've linked to. Stohlquist normally make good gear but I've never tried their cags. If you get onto Colm in i-canoe and tell him what you want and what you can afford, he'll help you out. He's very customer friendly. Also, try out the Palm Switch cag. It's much cheaper than the Sidewinder and almost as good (though it doesn't have nearly as much reinforcement). I paddle with one because of the price difference and think it's pretty good. Cags don't last much more than two years so get a cag that will suit the next two years of your paddling (=cheaper for me). You can get them with Aquatherm neck seals as well that are much more comfortable than latex seals but I don't know if they stock these in Great Outdoors.

Offline Amanda

• Light shop
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2008, 23:04:31 »
As killian said the life span of a cag is two seasons, three if you really mind then. Don’t expect it to last longer, u will just get bitter when it dies.

To make a Simi-dry cag a dry one costs 40 euro to but a seal in. (www.mdac.ie, can probably get it in Dublin somewhere) with use they will probably let water in but that is the real cost difference.

Shop around and find which one is the right length for your arms, doesn’t weigh too much, u can move about it, doesn't try and chock you, and brings out the colour of your eyes. The same as u would any other piece of clothing u plan on being seen in public in.

It your somewhere with a paddling shop stop in to say hello and try everything on. (free tea) Then you will know what u like and will spend your money well when u have it and be informed.

If you’re not comfortable in any gear on dry land it will only be in your way on the water.

I have a IR Simi-dry cag, I find it's doesn't try to kill me when I put it on. That is why I like it, but mine came with a bring it back when it leaks and I’ll put a latex seal included reassurance (a cag prone to leaking but touch wood) It would be perfect if it would stop ripping on Kerry fences. :( I blame that on it being blue.

Isn't shopping fun ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 23:07:10 by manda »

Offline Lucy

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 14:01:24 »
..rowan...get your own thread!

Offline Monkey Loving Bob

• Marq's Nemesis
    • The best way for me to ignore you!
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 14:08:32 »
I'll sell you  a cag that's been used maybe 8-10 times in total, dry and in cool blue (because let's be honest, image counts)

Nookie G2 Dry Cag, one of Nookie's better dry cags with chunky arm protection with kevlar and foam padding in the arms, this means no more unexplained bruises at the end of the day - It's actually fantastic 
This has only been worn about 8-10 times, so it's exactly what it says on the tin. A pretty much brand new dry cag. I got it under a warranty replacement about the start of the summer.

Review here

now only €160 ovno

Conor.

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 17:58:17 »
Lucy, I'm terribly sorry for hijacking your thread...well, not really  ;D

Anyone except Conor: I can get a Sidewinder for €173 from Wetsuit Outlet in England. Is that a better plan than Conor's (kind-of-second-hand) Nookie?

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 11:00:47 »
Palm, or Sham?

Eh? See what I did there, sowing the seeds of doubt and all! It was so subtle you probably didn't even notice it on a conscious level but now you'll never look at Palm gear in the same way The cag that I use is a palm sidewinder, the nookie cag is comparable. but you would not have any offical warranty rights (nookie do give a lifetime warranty, not just a one year warranty),so you'll just have to blag them, I cashed in this warranty after two and a half years with no proof of purchase and a previous model and they had it back to me far faster then palm did, brand new cag no quibbling after I sent them some pics.

Nookie warranty experience: 10 day turn around  :)

Palm Warranty Experince: Send cag back - don't hear anything for about five weeks - ring shop, shop hasn't a clue - ring again - no clue - get quite annoyed - call in and make shop pick up phone to Palm - Palm have no clue - walk away in disgust, after giving them two days for resolution - finally get call back - they've lost my cag  :o - shop replaces with new cag -new cag delaminates within five days - return new cag - starting to see the humour in this - repeat as above without losing it this time - two weeks later - have original cag returned to me  >:(
8ish weeks, two cags, lots of phone calls, one trip to Italy with a last minute cag, crap service. Never buying from Palm or the shop in question again.

I rest my case.

Offline rowantheboat

• UCD Musical Society
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 16:11:46 »
Funny how the small print almost negates any of the second half of that post.  :D

I'm still considering...

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 18:38:47 »
I have it, no needs to spend money until it completely falls apart, more. I do have a drysuit that works way better though.

Next cag will be a kokatat, they're the business by the looks of it...

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 20:43:19 »
You're really not a very good salesman Kylie

• Marq's Nemesis
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 21:00:47 »
I'm passing off gear Evan, I'm not gonna bullshit them about it. Sales are work...

Offline roz

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:45 »
oh. I well... just got as far as slapper john's post, (forth one) and thought I might mention that I can be your UK rep and get you cheap deals at the moment. SKC are reps for Kokatat, Lendal, johnson outdoors, nickwax, so no promises but if you let me know if your interested in any of their gear, Pm me and i'll talk to the guys and see if they can put it on their orders..... but no promises just yet!!!

PM

Offline Sick Boy

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 23:23:42 »
i think the club will try to organise a grer talk soon enough (it depends on who is available and when). if you arent in any huge rush you might like to hold off and be able to make a more informed decision at the end of it all...