Author Topic: I think it's time...  (Read 17323 times)

Offline Lucy

I think it's time...
« on: December 12, 2008, 10:43:10 »
...to start trying to get my own gear.
hahah :D

So I'm starting with Santa.
What should I get...

I have wetsuit (thanks Kerry).
I have an alright spraydeck...it'll last me for the moment.
I have some thermals.
Kieran I have your booties. I must get them back to you.
So I need LOTS.
Paddles, booties, cag, helmet, Buoancy...Boat.
So I'm thinking of what to get first, I doubt Santa's gonna foot the bill for the lot. What will I get first and what kind should I get?

Offline Tr Ash

• Your an inanimate f&%king object!!
Re: I think it's time...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:09 »
If ya dont have a nice cag i'd go for that....after then...

the first thing i got were my own paddles and i thought that they were very helpful and i still have them!! (despite begin ty-warps!! :O)

but everyone will prob give ya a different thing to buy first....i'd say any of paddles, ba, helmet, good cag would be a good investment.

Offline Tr Ash

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:09:59 »
oh and all the i-canoe and god's will prob eb having a good sale after xmas so i always wait till then and get the stuff that little bit cheaper than the week before:P

other people have a lot more experience of buying gear than me so i'd listen to them more than me!! :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:16:46 by Trinity Ash »

Offline slapper

• http://NewZealand05.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:55:12 »
I think when you're buying gear, one of the most important starting points is getting yourself kitted out so you can stay warm on the river. From that point of view, a decent cag would be a good bet. It's worth spending a bit of cash on getting a good cag. Make sure you treat it well and it will last for quite a long time.

If you stay warm while out paddling, the cold water and cold weather doesn't sap your strength. Same for booties. Get a decent pair of booties, or neoprene socks and river shoes if that's your preference. Make sure you stay warm on the river, then start looking at bigger things like helmet, BA, blades and boat.

There'll probably be heaps of people who disagree with me on this next point, but I think spending heaps of money on a 'bling' fashionable helmet (sweet helmets etc) that doesn't actually give full coverage over your ears is a waste of money. There's no protection on those sort of helmets if you bash the side of your head/face. Get a decent, comfortable helmet that covers your head properly. It'll be a lot cheaper than some of the trendier brands and will do just as good or better a job. If you want to bling it up, slap stickers and paint on it. It bugs me to see people who have bought themselves really expensive trendy helmets and paid so much for them that they couldn't afford extra thermals, booties, BA etc.

With the strength of the Euro against sterling at the moment, buy all of your gear online from the UK. It will work out a lot cheaper for you, even with shipping included.

Offline Tr Ash

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:10:25 »
do u know any good english websites to buy off?? looking into buy one or two things myself....

Offline AENGUS!

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:16:18 »
Wooooh Lucy I'm getting gear off santa too!! ;D

I went to great outdoors and I got a sidewinder cag and with that they gave me a €50 thermal for free which I thought was very nice of them!! :) And I bought a super duper cool paddle! So I was i the same boat(hahaha kayaking pun) as you and that's what I went for! Oh and I also got a pair of booties too!

Then with my own money I think I'm gonna get a pro tec two face helmet....it's got ear proection, it's super stylish and it's only like €60 from i canoe or about €70 from great outdoors!

just leaves a BA............and a boat!! So hopefully i'll get a job soon!! :D

p.s give me back my hat!!!!!  :P
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:50:36 by AENGUS! »

Offline Lucy

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 12:19:15 »
..christ. Your Santa is friggin loaded. I don't think I'll be quite as lucky.
I'll give u ur hat when I'm good and ready.

Offline AENGUS!

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 12:49:40 »
How long'll that take?!!

Oh and my older brother is getting a laptop....which he need fo doing his masters nd what not...so I was just like...well I do really need kayaking gear! ::) worked like a charm!! :P

Offline Douchier

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 13:17:56 »
Asho has had my hat for over a year now.. Should I buy a new hat?

Offline Evan

• We Live In Beijing
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 13:19:24 »
I got a sidewinder cag for €185ish delivered from www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk and they delivered it in 2 days so I was pretty happy with that.

Offline rog

• Ginger Giant
  • Who wants to do that thing we always do?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 13:59:39 »
Luce, I would definately agree with slapper on this one, being and staying warm on a river is really important, makes you paddle better for longer as well. Some people might not agree that you need a fully dry cag for irish water.. but I think they're brilliant, and since i got my sidewinder i stay dry and warm for the whole trip, its fooking great.

Offline caz

• Koo-koo-ka-choo
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 14:15:28 »
i bought the helix dry top from icanoe for 175e and have found it brilliant so far.

http://www.i-canoe.com/Ladies+Water-wear/Helix+Drytop+Women%27s.html

seeing as you are buying your kit in installments i'd ask santy for a cag and/or boyancy first as you can still easily use club paddles and boat. helmets aren't (shouldn't) be too expensive you can get a protec ace helmet for 50e in i-canoe and it's just as goot as any of the sweet ones.

Offline kmck

• "99"
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 14:18:58 »
Well you can tell from the booties, that style doesn't suit you the best as you need help doing them up, the sock version might be better and they come in at around 30 euro and many different styles. Dry cag is a great investment, Reid do a very good costume fitted cag, siobhain, killian, benny and caoimhe and eoin have gotten something from them but don't know how long that will take.

On the helmet front, mine cost 125 euro new, Thank you Connor. It is a very warm helmet and I feel very happy with it. However if I got a major knock tomorrow I would still buy it as It offers full coverage. Check the internet, I know a few in trinity have had sucess with a company over there. Looking at cheaper helmets the wsr helmet looks very good and karen and evan can tell you about it.

Paddles the gala range seems very solid paddle and is relatively cheap.

Offline JODY

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 14:23:20 »
Lucy,
you've been lucky enough to be able to borrow some pretty good gear off various people for the past while. Surely you'd have figured out whice pieces of kit make a difference  ???

If you're lucky enough to be able to get a shiny new cag for christmas go for it, but dont forget there are more affordable things like thermals, neo socks & a skull cap. They also make a massive difference & cost less. If you find yourself still trying to borrow thermals for a river trip it means you need more or better ones.

If you're buying a helmet go for the best you can afford. The more coverage the better. I'd should really get a better helmet now i can afford one... just waiting for the new seasons colours  ;)

Offline Lucy

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 14:31:08 »
whoa, thanks guys. Keep it coming.
As for the awesome gear I was borrowing. I wasn't paying any attention to what it was, as far as I was concerned I was warm and comfy and that's all that mattered. ha.